Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Workers Comp, Attorney Fees?

I spoke to a lawyer (in California)regarding an on the job injury. He told me that it is my duty to file for Disability Insurance. And that he'd represent me in My Workers Comp case. He said he'd charge 15% of any settlement I'd receive from Workers Comp.

Does this mean that I can receive one lump payment from WC, from where he takes 15%? Or would WC give me a weekly check (until I recover) and does he get 15% from my weekly check? Thanks in advance.
Answer:
CUCH is correct---but also keep in mind...if you are given california state disability while you have a workers comp claim...you will be paying the state back the disability payments.and yes you would receive one lump sum, minus the 15%
you can get the worker comp company to give you weekly payments...but not usually unless your case is really Strong...if you got the advanced payments...again these will be deducted out of your settlement.

also...settlement for work comp are not a get rich thing...and it usually drags on for a very long time.

good luck
Your attorney is working on a contingency, where he will be paid his 15% when he takes your case and wins a lump sum...where as he takes his portion off the top.
THAT'S ALL HE GET'S FROM THE LUMP-SOME. THEY'RE THE CHEAPEST ATTORNEYS SO FAR. YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY HIM BECAUSE ONCE YOU WIN YOUR CASE, HIS FEE IS DEDUCTED AND YOU'RE AWARDED THE REST WHICH COMES IN A HUGE CHECK THROUGH HIM TO YOU IN YOUR NAME.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

easy law Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net